CHOOSE A LAWYER LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.
DUI Cases With Injury in Morgantown, West Virginia
When you are sitting behind the wheel while under influence of drugs or alcohol, you are taking an enormous risk with yourself. And at the same time, you are risking the lives of the fellow commuters and the drivers on the road. In West Virginia, the offense of DUI is serious. And when it leads to an injury, the consequences can become even more serious. And that is why you need the help of a Morgantown DUI lawyer.
In 2015 June, the West Virginia legislature amended the law 17C-5-2 West Virginia Code and made two different charges, DUI with minor bodily injury and DUI with serious bodily injury.
- Minor bodily injury includes physical pain, illness and impairment of physical condition
- Serious bodily injury includes injuries that create substantial life risks, serious and prolonged disfigurement, prolonged impairment and loss of function of an organ.
If you have been charged with DUI involving injuries, then you need to get a West Virginia DUI lawyer right away. Come to Mountaineer Criminal Law Group. Let us take care of the case on your behalf so that you can reduce or even dismiss the charges for yourself.
Determination of the Bodily Injury
When the accident happens with the driver charged with DUI, the first priority of the prosecution will be collecting the medical reports of all the injured people. These records will help them prove how the impaired driver risked everyone on the road while driving under influence. If the driver is injured in the accident, the police might wait to arrest and charge the driver. Once the driver is fit and released from the hospital, he or she might be charged with DUI with injury. If you or your loved one has been involved in an accident like this, then don’t wait. Hire a West Virginia DUI lawyer. We will take care of the case while you recover from your injuries.
Penalties of DUI With Injury
Depending on the seriousness of the injury, the penalties of a DUI with an injury case will be determined. So, the penalties will include:
- Mandatory 24 hours to one year of jail time and a fine of $200 up to $1000 for the misdemeanor or the minor bodily injuries
- A DUI with serious bodily injuries becomes a felony, with serious punishments. You will have to serve jail time of not less than 2 years and up to 10 years. The fine will be from $1000 up to $3000.
- If the seriously injured person dies in the next one year, then you will be facing charges of negligent homicide
Connect With Morgantown DUI lawyer
As you can see, the consequences of DUI with injuries can be quite serious. If you have been charged with this, then you are looking at a long jail term and hefty fines. Connect with an experienced Morgantown DUI lawyer from Mountaineer Criminal Law Group today. We are a group of lawyers with a lot of experience in DUI cases. We will represent you aggressively in the court of law and get you the best outcome. Call us for a consultation.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (304) 900-3391
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer