CHOOSE A LAWYER LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.
DUI Cases with Injury in Wellsburg, West Virginia
When you find yourself behind the wheel, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, you not only put yourself at risk but also endanger the lives of others on the road. In West Virginia, a DUI offense is taken seriously, especially when it results in injuries. In such cases, seeking legal help from a Wellsburg WV DUI lawyer is crucial.
In June 2015, an amendment to law 17C-5-2 in West Virginia introduced two categories of DUI charges: DUI with severe physical injuries and DUI with minor injuries.
- Minor bodily injuries refer to physical pain, illness, and injuries to body parts.
- On the other hand, severe physical injuries encompass lifelong disfigurement, life-threatening conditions, and prolonged organ dysfunction.
If you are facing charges of DUI with physical injuries, it is vital to consult a Wellsburg WV criminal lawyer immediately. At Mountaineer Criminal Law Group, we can handle your case and work towards minimizing or dismissing the charges against you.
Detecting the Bodily Injuries
When an accident involves a driver charged with DUI, the prosecution collects medical reports of all the injured individuals. These reports help establish how the impaired driver put the lives of others at risk. If the driver sustains injuries, they may face charges of DUI with injury once they have recovered. If you or your loved one is involved in such an accident, it is important not to delay and take immediate action. The first step is to hire a Wellsburg WV DUI lawyer. We will handle your case as you recover from your injuries, ensuring your rights are protected.
Penalties for DUI with Injury
The penalties for DUI cases involving injuries are determined based on the severity of the injury. Here’s what you need to know about the penalties for DUI with injury:
- Mandatory jail time: Depending on the circumstances, the offender may face a minimum of 24 hours up to a year in jail.
- Fines: The fine amount ranges from $200 to $1000 for a crime involving serious physical injuries.
- Felony charges: If the DUI results in severe physical injuries, it becomes a felony offense with harsher punishments. Offenders may have to serve a minimum of two years and up to 10 years in jail. The fine in such cases typically ranges from $1000 to $3000.
- Negligent homicide: If a person sustains serious injuries and dies within a year, the offender may be convicted of negligent homicide.
Contact a Wellsburg WV DUI lawyer
Considering the serious consequences of DUI with injuries, it is crucial to seek legal representation. Contact a Wellsburg WV criminal lawyer from Mountaineer Criminal Law Group today for a consultation. Our experienced legal team will vigorously defend your rights and strive for the best possible outcome in your case. Don’t face these charges alone – call us today.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (304) 381-3656
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer