CHOOSE A LAWYER LIKE YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON IT.
DUI Prevention Guide in Wheeling, West Virginia
Welcome to Mountaineer Criminal Law Group, where we believe in upholding the basic civil rights of every citizen. Our mission is to ensure that all our clients have the opportunity to retain or fight for their rights. While we strongly condemn drunk driving, we understand that not all charges are justified. If you or a loved one has been charged with DUI, there may be a chance to have the charges dropped. At Mountaineer Criminal Law Group, we are committed to delivering the justice you deserve.
To assist you further, we have compiled a comprehensive DUI prevention guide, prepared by our expert Wheeling WV Criminal Lawyer. Take a moment to explore it. And if you find yourself facing a DUI case, don’t hesitate to consult our Wheeling WV OVI Lawyer right away.
About Drunk Driving
Did you know that nearly one third of all traffic accidents are caused by drunk driving? Shockingly, approximately 10,000 people lose their lives each year due to this preventable tragedy. To put it into perspective, every 53 minutes, a drunk driving crash results in a fatality. These DUI cases also incur an annual cost of $199 billion.
Furthermore, it’s alarming to note that around one third of fatality, injury, and property damage cases involving drunk driving are caused by repeated offenders. In fact, 50% to 75% of these repeat offenders have already had their licenses suspended.
While the incidents of DUI have decreased since 1980, according to the report by Mothers Against Drunk Driving, there are still numerous cases that occur each year. This is why it’s essential to familiarize yourself with the following prevention guide.
Preventing for Yourself
Driving under the influence not only poses a risk to innocent pedestrians and motorists but also endangers your own life. Take a moment to read through the following guide to help prevent such incidents:
- Plan ahead when socializing with friends. Designate someone as the sober driver to ensure everyone gets home safely.
- If you’re heading to a party or a bar alone, consider taking a cab or renting a car for multiple destinations.
- If you’ve indulged in drinking impulsively, leave your car parked and arrange for alternative transportation such as a cab, bus, or train to get home or to your hotel to sleep it off.
How to Know That You are Too Drunk
Feeling too intoxicated? No need to calculate your BAC. You can recognize the signs easily:
- Flushed skin
- Bloodshot, red eyes
- Double or blurred vision
- Slurred or loud speech
- Difficulty walking straight
- Constantly bumping into things
- Inability to sign your name properly
If you’re unsure of your level of intoxication, ask a friend or the bartender for their assessment. Remember, even if you don’t exhibit these signs, you could still be over the legal alcohol limit. If you face a DUI charge, seek help from a Wheeling WV OVI Lawyer without delay.
Use BAC Calculator App
For a more accurate assessment, try using a BAC calculator app that takes your height, weight, and age into account. These apps provide real-time estimates of your alcohol consumption.
For Your Companions
When it comes to your companions, be responsible. Follow these guidelines:
- Offer to be the designated driver to ensure everyone gets home safely.
- Host a safe party with mocktails and non-alcoholic options.
- Provide transportation and accommodations for friends who are too drunk to drive.
Prevent Others From Driving Drunk
You may have encountered situations where you offered to drive someone home, but they insisted on getting behind the wheel. Here’s how to handle it:
- Avoid confrontation.
- Suggest alternative options like taking a cab if they refuse your offer.
- Remember, impaired judgment affects their decision-making abilities, so communicate slowly and clearly.
- Express your concern for their safety and well-being.
- Offer them a place to stay overnight.
- Seek assistance from another friend to reason with them.
- If all else fails, contact law enforcement.
If your friend is charged with DUI, refer them to our Wheeling WV Criminal Lawyer for assistance. Stay safe and make responsible choices!
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
To keep yourself safe on the road, it’s important to be vigilant for other motorists. Look out for these signs:
- Wavering and zigzagging
- Making abrupt illegal turns
- Tailgating, swerving, and fast accelerating
- Stopping without reason
- Driving away from designated lanes
- Narrowly missing objects
- Giving inconsistent driving signals
- Slow or no response to traffic signals
- Driving with headlights off in the dark
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
What You Should Do When You Spot a Drunk Driver
When you see a drunk driver, it’s crucial to act quickly to ensure safety for everyone. Here are the steps:
- Maintain a significant distance from other vehicles.
- Do not attempt to communicate with the drunk driver, as they are impaired.
- Take note of the license plate, color, and model of the car if possible.
- Pull over and call 911 to provide necessary details.
At Mountaineer Criminal Law Group, our dedicated Wheeling WV OVI Lawyer will listen to your case and offer the right legal guidance in matters of DUI. Contact us today for a detailed discussion.
Get in TouchFill out the contact form or call us at (304) 381-3656
to schedule your free consultation.
- 1 Free Consultation
- 2 Available 24/7
- 3 Highly Rated Super Lawyer